- Bed-sharing 'raises cot death risk' May 21, 2013Sharing a bed with your newborn baby increases the risk of sudden death syndrome - commonly known as cot death - fivefold, research suggests.
- NHS urged to improve use of drips May 20, 2013The lives of hospital patients who are put on a drip are being placed at risk by poor attention by staff to intravenous fluid care, experts warn.
- Chief inspector of GPs post created May 21, 2013A chief inspector of GPs is to be appointed as part of a push to improve services outside of hospitals, ministers are set to announce.
- Cancer risk gene testing announced May 20, 2013A pioneering programme to test cancer patients for nearly 100 risk genes is to start in London and could represent the future of treatment in the NHS.
- Sunshine vitamin 'may treat asthma' May 20, 2013The amount of time asthma patients spend soaking up the sun may have an impact on their health, researchers have suggested.
- Bunions 'blame family not footwear' May 20, 2013The risk of developing bunions - bony growths on the big toe - is linked to your family, not your shoes, a US study has shown.
- Breast gene test extended in Scotland May 20, 2013More women in Scotland will be offered a breast cancer genetic test in line with a decision south of the border, the Scottish government confirms.
- Mental health 'bible' is updated May 19, 2013An update to one of the most important manuals in mental health - known as the bible of psychiatry - is published.
- Scots NHS alert line takes UK calls May 19, 2013A third of calls to a confidential phone line which allows health workers in Scotland to raise concerns about the NHS came from other parts of the UK.
- Walk-to-school numbers 'falling' May 20, 2013Fewer children are walking to school in the UK, campaigners say.